Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Monkey Brains

When I was in junior high our youth pastors were Chris and Tammy Immer.  I cherish my memories with them and I can remember spending lazy summer days with Tammy at their house 'down by the river' (SNL skit, made me laugh); a group of us girls would watch movies, "chick flicks", and we would play Wheel of Fortune on Super NES, and we would devour Monkey Brains.

Them were the days.

I think I need to start making this a little tradition for some of my youth gals out here.  I love having tea parties, and hang outs, and bread bakin' days.  Sam and I have our eye on a house and we will see if it comes to be.  If it does, Monkey Brain devouring memories are going to be made there.

And if it doesn't, that's ok, you can eat Monkey Brains anywhere.  And they are delicious.  I am sure that you have heard of this referred to as "Monkey Bread," but Monkey Brains is so much more fun to say!  Especially when you bake them in cupcake tins so that they are smaller and perfect for individual desserts.



I jazzed mine up a bit and added apples to the sauce and also threw in some mixed nuts and dried fruit.  So this is Monkey Brains, grownup style.


Ooooey gooooey cinnamon Monkey Brain goodness!  This is a delicious treat  See that pecan right there? I want to eat it right out of the picture.  Mmmm, pecans smothered in cinnamon caramel sauce.


Maybe you should make some, and invite some friends over to enjoy it with you.  Monkey Brains = Awesome Memories

Monkey Brains for 6
1, 12-16 ounce can of biscuits
1/4 cup mixed nuts and dried fruit, coarse chop
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 granny smith apple, washed, pealed, cored and cut into nickle size chunks

Preheat oven to 400.

Cut biscuits into chunks and throw them in a bag with your cinnamon and sugar and shake to cover.  Drop into greased muffin/cupcake tin and sprinkle with chopped nut mixture.

In a saucepan heat your butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple.  Heat to boiling and cook for 1 minute.

Pour over each cup.  I Like to make a little extra sauce to hold back and drizzle over the top after they are on the plate.  It is delicious.

Turn oven temp down to 350 and bake for 20 minutes.  Let cool for 5-10 minutes, they will be very HOT. Spoon onto a plate, should hold together nicely.  You can serve it just like it is, with ice cream, with sauce; be creative, and have FUN.  This is fun to make with kids too if they can work a pair of scissors...mine are not ready for scissors.

xoxo

Ronda

No comments:

Post a Comment