Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I told Satan to shut his pie hole

Lighthearted is where I want to be.  In this moment I want to be light and funny, and full of wit so that you enjoy reading these words and they fluff your day and encourage you.  God put something on my heart Friday, a single word.  The word that he gave me intrigued me because I didn't think it really applied to me.  But then as yesterday went on, I began to experience this word.  I did a great deal of rationalizing, of planning and making excuses, but with each projected milestone I failed...and with the failure came the word...and it is this moment that I see how it applies to me.

What scares me is this word is so HUGE.  I want to take it as far as necessary, but not over do it.  I am going to give a few days to this topic. So consider this an introductory.  I hope you don't give up on me.  I hope that I can write this so that if it is for you, that it will catch your attention, and that you will take a minute to take this journey with me...because I am here RIGHT NOW.

On Thursday I shared about the joy killer STRESS.  Stress is interesting because it is something that we often put on display.  We wave it about as a badge of honor, and even brag about it.  Now for the word I got...GUILT.  Guilt is a different strain of joy killer.  Guilt is secret and hidden and we like to keep it that way.  We don't usually say, "hey everybody, come see how awful I am," "Come see what a bad parent I am," "Come see how little self control I have,"  "Come see what a bad Christian I am." What I felt guilt about I want to keep secret too.  But you know what...I know that what I feel guilty about is nothing but SATAN, because it's just that plain silly.

Wanna hear it?  I ate pie.  I ate the most delicious pie ever.  I ate the most delicious pie that I made myself, and it was delightful, and the perfect ending to my CRAZY week.  But I felt guilt.  I felt guilt because I went over the calories that I wanted to eat yesterday, by a lot!  I felt guilt for everything I ate yesterday because I grazed all day.  I was never hungry, I just ate.

Ronda, the human {veggie/fruit/nut/granola/pretzel/Cherios/watermelon/salad eating} vacuum cleaner.  Oh, and Persian Lime Pie consumer.  Besides the pie everything I grazed on was healthy, and I have no reason not to eat pie but my own silliness.  I am healthy, I am fit, I am active.  WHO CARES IF I EAT PIE!?!?  Nobody.  Absolutely nobody. In fact you are probably saying, "Ronda, you definitely should eat some of that pie...pie is delicious."  And you would be right, and I did, and it was.

Let me tell you that Guilt can be both friend and foe.  If you have guilt, you just might be guilty of something.  Or you might have guilt and it be something to distract you, wind you up, take you out.  Guilt sets you apart and it sets in deep, because you are too afraid to tell anyone about it, or let yourself up from it. Satan is a master at his job.  He is a joy killer and a life stealer.

So Satan, consider yourself on notice.  This is a pink slip.  You are done here.  Shut your pie hole, pack your Guilt and go.  In Jesus name, Amen.

Now that we shooed Satan away.  I want to share with you the perfect end to my crazy week...


~Guiltfree~ Persian Lime and Blackberry Pie

Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons melted butter

Filling
3 large egg yolks
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup Persian lime juice or (approximately 4 to 6 Persian limes) If you use key limes they are smaller and so you will need about 9-10 of them.
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest

Topping
2 cups blackberries
1/2 cup water or fruit juice
1 teaspoon lime juice
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons confectioner sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

To make the crust: Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9" removable bottom tart pan or 9" pie plate. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool. Reduce the oven heat to 325°F.

To make the filling: Whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk, and lime juice and zest until well blended; the mixture will thicken almost immediately. Pour into the crust and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, till just set. Remove from the oven, and cool at room temperature for several hours before topping.

To make the topping: Rinse the berries. Stir together the water or fruit juice, lime juice, and sugars in a medium-sized saucepan set over medium heat, cooking till the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, pour over the berries, and spoon onto the cooled tart. Chill for several hours. Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Yield: one 9" tart.

Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour



I am very excited for these next few days.  Will you pray with me?

Jesus, sweet Jesus.  Thank you for giving me your Word, and thank you for giving me a word.  I pray that you have complete control, and that I don't steer this...Please teach me through your word and give me only the right things to share.  Give me wisdom and discernment.  Thank you so much for all the blessings this last week, and for supporting me through the insanity.

We love you.

This warmed my heart yesterday, so grateful for moments like these...I love my boys!

xoxo

Ronda

2 comments:

  1. "Let me tell you that Guilt can be both friend and foe." It took me a while to understand the Christianese term "convicted" until I actually experienced it. When conviction comes from God, He offers a way out of feeling guilty. He will let you know that you can and need to repent and be forgiven. When Satan gives you guilt, he tells you to keep it inside, that there's no way to relieve it, no hope. That's how I know the difference. Next time I will tell Satan to "shut his pie hole" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I should tell him that too! I like the song by Mindy Smith called "Little Devil". The lyrics are along the same lines. Great post about guilt today. Thanks for serving the Lord through your blog!

    ReplyDelete