Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Green goes with everything!

Green Delight: Green Beans, Brussels Sprouts and Zucchini

I need to learn how to use my camera.  I can’t wait till I can see my Dad and he can give me some pointers.  I have an awesome Nikon D40 that my parents got me for my birthday a few years back.  I feel like a kid playing a video game that they don’t know and I am pushing all the buttons.  Sometimes it works out and you kung fu karate chop hi-ya your opponent, or in my case get a random good picture, but most of the time this is not the case.
Kael came home from school yesterday with his new weighted blanket made by Project Linus (thank you Gail).  We were also told to try and give him 3-4mg of Melatonin about 30 minutes before bed and this would help him sleep.  He was so cheerful last night so we kept him up with us till 9pm, which is about an hour and a half past when he usually drops out.  I tucked him in with his new blanket and he waved and said “bye, bye” to me.  He is actually starting to say several new words including Mommy which makes my heart melt!  I woke up this morning to Kael tromping around the room and felt so rested I was sure that the blanket had worked and that it was surely time to wake up.  It was 4am.  So I put him back in bed several times and eventually he dozed off and we got about an extra hour of sleep.  We will try again tonight.  My friend Brittany sent me a message this morning asking how Kael did.  It is so nice to know that people are thinking about us and rooting for us.  When I told her it didn’t work she asked what we were going to do now.  My response was quick and simple: Pray.  We are going to keep trying and pray for sweet sleep, you can pray for us too!
Yesterday I was quite sleep deprived and totally drained of energy.  I lost my phone, I forgot where I parked, lately I forget faces, names, tasks, etc…It has been really noticeable to me.  So this coming Thursday I am going to see Dr. Simmons.  He takes a holistic approach to medicine, but is also an MD so if you need to go modern medicine you can.  I am pretty sure that it is just the lack of sleep that is affecting me, but I am going to go get checked out.
I am feeling really good this morning.  I drank a glass of Almond Milk with some Amazing Grass Superfood mixed in (this stuff is the bomb…yeah I just said that).  That makes me laugh…that last little part.  I will digress and tell you a quick little story and you can laugh with me at my dorkiness.  I was taking a loan application from a woman the other day and she was of African American decent.  Somewhere in our conversation I was like “you know it girl!”…Yeah, as soon as the words came out of my mouth I was like ‘what did you just say!  You are such a nerd’, she was undoubtedly thinking the same thing ‘what did she just say?’  I was pretty embarrassed, but had to keep rolling and try to not make myself look like more of a goober.  I also enjoyed a small bowl of almonds, pralines, walnuts, hazelnuts, dried cranberries, dried cherries, raisins, and white chocolate chips.  These are new ECO bowls that I got at ROSS and I love them.  They are the perfect size, they are stackable, they won’t break so I can let the boys use them, and they feel good when you hold them because they are light and have a really nice texture.

I will try to find more ECO ware online, because I really like it!

So for dinner last night I made what I like to call Green Delight.  I also made Bagel Pizza Rounds and for dessert Banana's Foster.

Every element of this dinner was easy, affordable and best of all DELICIOUS!  This is a dinner that you can make in a few minutes, feed a crowd, and have them raving about it!  Sam even asked for me to make some more of the vegetables for him; they are that good!



Green Delight

1 Zucchini
2 cups Fresh Green Beans
4-6 Brussels Sprouts

Wash everything.  Slice the zucchini into rounds about 1/8th an inch thick.  Cut the brussels sprouts into quarters, and leave the crisp green beans just as they are.  In a frying pan put about 1/3 cup of water and season with steak seasoning.  I like a lot of seasoning, but this addition will be up to you how much you use.  You can always add more.  Put all the veggies into the pan and turn the heat on Medium.  These will only take about 4 minutes to be perfect so don't forget about them.  When they are ready they will be bright green in color. Serves 2.


Bagel Pizza Rounds

This is another favorite in our house because it is so simple and quick to prepare.

Bagel (I use Natures Made because they don't have anything artificial)
1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar
4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
Pinch of Italian Seasoning (optional)

Open your bagel and spread the tomato paste evenly on each side.  Sprinkle with your Italian seasoning if you desire.  Sprinkle with mozzarella and then top with the shredded cheddar.  Place on a baking sheet and with your oven on Broil place on top rack.  Don't leave!  These will go quick.  It should only take about 2 minutes to get them looking like mine in the picture. Serves 2.


Banana's Foster
Dakota, one of our youth group kids, was over and he and Sam agreed that his dessert was so amazing that I should open a restaurant around it.  I just thanked them for the compliment and reveled in the joy of how easy it was to make for such an awesome response!

2 bananas
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons rum (don't worry it burns off!)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Few scoops of vanilla ice cream

In a frying pan melt the butter.  Stir in the sugars, rum, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Slice your banana's length wise and then in half.  When the butter mixture begins to bubble toss in the banana's and nuts. You want the bananas to be hot, but not overdone.  So let them cook about 1-2 minutes in the bubbling caramel mixture.  Pour over your scoops of ice cream and enjoy!

xoxo
Ronda

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you and Kael slept good(:
    Also your food looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Sleep, More Words, Leaps and Bounds in developement... and yet simple moments that melt your heart. The Lord is our weighted blanket to give comfort and gives rest to the weary. Reminds me to slow down and just breath Him in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Susanna was a few months old I was not thinking straight, feeling faint, having weird killer headaches and heart palpitations... Was blessed with a great doc that hit the nail on the head - sleep deprivation! Not fun at all. I'll pray for you! =)
    PS, glad you started a blog!

    ReplyDelete