Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Blueberry Sunrise


Blueberry Sunrise Pancakes
Today is such a beautiful day!  The sun is shining and there is not a cloud as far as the eye can see.  I am having a wonderful day so far.  Kael woke up early again this morning, but Sam is working really hard to get Kael to break this habit.  So he put him back in bed I don’t know how many times.  Sam keeps telling me that consistency is key.  He is such a good Daddy.  I was really excited to bring him these Blueberry Sunrise pancakes as breakfast in bed.  He loved them!  They are very fluffy and the lemon and blueberry combination is always a winner!  After Sam finished eating his breakfast I snapped this quick shot of Kael and him before they headed out the door for Preschool.

Kael had a fun morning playing with his trains.  He too loved the Blueberry Sunrise pancakes and ate 3!  Minus the syrup though, that little guy doesn’t need the rocket fuel.  I like to hide healthy ingredients when I make the boys pancakes.  I will mix bran, flaxseed, or chopped dates in with my batter and they eat’em up.  It makes me feel good and brings a smile to my face as I think ‘haha, that is health food, and you love it!’ I used to think that it was ok to feed Kael Fruity Pebbles and Corn Dogs…Sorry if you feed your kids this.  Don’t mean to make you feel bad.  But I bet if you ask yourself 'what is good for them' you will answer that for yourself.  I used to give Kael all sorts of stuff that was not good for him.  But, as a matter of convenience fast food, prepackaged food, processed food is often what we resort to.  Even with baby food.  Baby food is actually super easy to make and you can save a bundle all while feeding your little budding genius the best.  But who has time to make baby food, or dinner these days!  That is how I used to think about it.  We think differently now.  With our family the change we made to what we put in our bodies has changed our lives.  We give a huge THANK YOU to Kael for impacting our lives in such an incredible way.   He has to work to learn, but he will come out of this all just fine and healthier for it.
Kael and his trains
After Sam and Kael left I cleaned up a bit and then heard Caleb roll out of bed.  The little goob figured out how to climb out of his crib finally.  Kael was climbing out of his crib at 15 months.  Caleb is more advanced with language, social emotional, and cognitive thinking, while Kael has the upper hand with his strength and physical awareness.  So my little noodle, as I call him, joined me and wanted cereal for breakfast.  The pancakes were already gone so he didn’t know what he missed.  Here he is, such a ham!
Caleb, my cheesy boy!
I am really excited to announce that I will be taking my little noodle Caleb with me and making a trip back home to Washington this month.  I leave in two weeks and can’t wait to get a photography lesson from my dad.  He sent me an awesome email this morning with some pointers.  My sister-in-law Dawn said she is warming up her arms for a big hug when we get there.
Like I mentioned above, pancakes are something I really enjoy making especially for the little boys.  When I make them for the kiddos the only thing I top them with is a little honey or agave nectar…but if they are eating them fine without then I don’t.  Sometimes when I have really stocked them full of healthy seeds and special ingredients then I will put a light layer of flaxseed peanut butter and a couple drips of honey.  They really like that.



Blueberry Sunrise Pancakes
¾ cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
¾ cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk (I used original Almond Milk)
1 lemon
1 cup Blueberries (I used frozen, but fresh would be wonderful!)

Preheat griddle (or in my case frying pan).  I set mine on medium heat while I mixed ingredients.
Combined flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar in a small bowl.
Wisk together ricotta cheese, eggs, and milk in a large bowl.
Zest your lemon: this means to use a tool like the one you see in the picture to shred the lemon peel into your recipe.  It will give it a bright lemon flavor.

After your lemon is zested into the large bowl mixture, slice it in half and squeeze the juice in.  Try to keep the seeds out.
Pour the flour combination in the large bowl to combine ingredients.  Stir until mixture is incorporated, but don’t over mix.
Lightly butter your pan or griddle.  Pour 1/3 cup of pancake mix into pan and place a few blueberries on there.  When the pancake is ready to flip (about 1-2 minutes depending on temperature), your spatula should easily slide under.  Flip it.  Cook both sides until lightly brown.

While I was cooking the pancakes I took a handful of frozen blueberries and a pinch of sugar and put it into a microwave safe bowl.  I put this in the microwave for 30 seconds.  The blueberries and the sugar came together like a sauce.
I stacked my cakes, poured some organic maple syrup over them and then drizzled the blueberry sauce over the top.  Sam was a happy camper.
Thanks for stopping by, don't be shy!  I love reading your comments!

xoxo

Ronda

4 comments:

  1. Ronda,
    You are such a wonderful women of God, friend, Mom, wife and also career women! How you have time to cook up SUCH WONDERFUL food is beyond me! I admire you for who you have become and also what I see you accomplish!
    P.S. Our family LOVES it when you take the time to send us dinner...hint hint!!
    I love you Ronda, I am glad you are my friend.
    Missy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) yummm -n- hugs~ hey, I feel a dish named that coming up soon.... duh dun dun~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww!! I love seeing these pictures of the boys!! The one with Sam and Kael they look SO alike, how awesome!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to substitute about half the flour in our pancakes (and other things) with Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - I like the wheaty flavor, but husb and kids don't usually notice they are getting something healthier if I just do half. =)

    ReplyDelete