Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Battered and bruised, but better because of it.

Share the Love
I think my boys are beautiful.  Even when they are sticky little mess makers, I can see past the grime and love them to pieces.  We had our Ladies of the Light women’s fellowship last night at my good friend Blythe’s new home.  Blythe, with her heart on her sleeve, put on some preaching pants.  I’ve seen her closet; I didn’t even know she owned a pair.
Blythe, who is at times very timid and easily overshadowed, stood in her living room and shared with us the love of God.  Even when we think we are failures as mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, Christians, humans in general; He see’s us and he thinks we are beautiful.  Just like I see my little boys, and despite themselves, I love them.
She encouraged us to encourage one another.  And I would encourage you to do the same.  Step outside of your shell this weekend and encourage someone.  Maybe pick up a greeting card and mail it to a grandparent you haven’t talked to in a while.  Say “hi” to someone at church that has gone there for years, but you don’t even know their name.  Be lovely and love generously.  I look through the Bible and the pages blur together with one word standing bold and prominent: LOVE.  Jesus chose the broken, the forgotten, the despised, the ones that you and I would probably pass over, or avoid.  I am going to try to do better.
God, forgive me for messing up so often.  I am sorry.  Thank you for loving me despite myself.
I was at Dillons the other day and they mark down their overly ripe bananas.  I saw them and immediately thought: BANANA BONANZA!
The beautiful blemish free banana with the firm but soft core and mild sweetness makes for terrible banana bread.  You need the banana to be ugly, mushy, spotty, black, etc… this gives you the wonderful sweet banana flavor that will hold up to baking.  So just like Jesus, pick the rejects.  J  When you are at the store and you see the black bananas marked down to pennies, pick ‘em up and make something amazing.  You can make this and freeze it to have on hand.  Warning: this banana bread is dangerously delicious, so proceed baking with caution.
Banana Bonanza Bread
Ingredients:
6 ugly bananas
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
4 eggs

Heat oven to 350
Grease two 9x5 loaf pans
You will need several bowls for this so break them out.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  In another medium bowl mash your ugly bananas; I used my electric mixer on medium speed.  In a large bowl cream your butter and sugars together.  Add vanilla, and eggs one at a time.  Pour in banana mixture.
With speed on low slowly mix in the dry ingredients.  Mix just until blended.  Pour into your prepared loaf pans and bake for 60-70 minutes.  Knife inserted in center should come out clean.
Let cool in pans for 5 minutes and then pop them onto a wire rack to finish cooling.




ENJOY!
The little boys played with Play Doh while I baked this morning.  Thank you Auntie Dawn... it's the gift that keeps on giving.  I learned that you don't turn your back on toddlers with Play Doh.

Xoxo
Ronda

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful posts Ronda! Great spiritual applications, recipes and ohotography.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Blythe is awesome at preaching!! I will definitely find out the name of the old old lady that goes to church:) Banana... Mmmmm!! You tourture us Washingtonians, we went able to steal your delicious creations from you!! The boys look cute, and adorable as always, and are making their own playdoh creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hint about bananas - Since there is just Larry & I in our house the last 2 or 3 bananas usually go "bad" which is great for Banana Muffins (or banana bread). I just peel them and put them in the freezer. When I get 4 I can make my muffins. It makes them darker this way and gives the bread or muffins a better color!

    ReplyDelete