Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Toddler Tantrums and Sharpie Shenanigans

I started writing this little post today and well, chaos ensued.  Caleb, who we dubbed “angel baby” as an infant, turned two the first week of June.  Today, he decided that he was going to throw a tantrum.  I have never been through a tantrum before.  I thought I had, but no, I can definitely tell you that I had never been through a tantrum.  Once I experienced an embarrassing Target + toddlers without naps = meltdown mayhem and indecent exposure incident.  But a full-blown tantrum…let me tell you, it was awful.  This is a story of survival.  This is a story of perseverance.  This is a story from the trenches of motherhood.  This…{dramatic pause} is my story.
Caleb and Kael were supposed to be napping.  All was quiet in the house and I sat down and typed out a lovely little blog.  I was just about finished when the boys graced me with their presence.  Each of them scribbled head to toe with Sharpie.  Black Sharpie.
They also were quite creative and scribbled much of my bedroom. Where did that Sharpie come from?  I have no idea.
I didn’t flip out; I decided what was done was done and that I would have to deal with it.  But for now, I was too tired from trying to get them down the first time that I would let them win this battle and postpone naptime.  Caleb however was SO emotional.  I knew I had to put him down.
The nice little thought that I would rock him to sleep popped into my mind.  He decided that was the worst idea ever.  He screamed and arched his back, and fought me tirelessly.  After about 15 minutes of non-stop toddler tantrum action I gave up and put him down.  He threw himself on the ground (bumping his head in the process), he wanted me to hold him, but as soon as I would pick him up he would begin fighting me again.  It went on like this for about 35 minutes and I had no idea what to do with this kid.  He told me several times to “Stop it Ronda!” or “Stop it Mommy!”
Out of desperation and exhaustion I called Sam.  He came home from work to save my day.  He tried to calm Caleb who was way past the realm of calm.  So he took him upstairs and calmly took off his clothes and put him in the tub and turned on the shower.  One minute later Caleb was calm and ready to talk.  Mind you, Caleb talk is pretty coherent but still Toddler-gaberwalkie.  He said that he was ready to be good and that he was all done being naughty.  Sam got called back to work, and Caleb rewound himself.  Hysterics.  I tried to remind him that he was ready to be good and that he was all done being naughty, but he seemed not to recall our recent agreement.
I put him in his toddler bed and snuggled up next to him and within 60 seconds he was fast asleep.  Victory.
All in all today was a rough day.  I am not going to lie.  The majority of the day I felt like I could do no right.  Before the Sharpie incident I had a surprise visit from my in-laws…SURPRISE!  Little boys were filthy of course, and the house was a mess (usually is right before nap time), and I was still in my Pajamas.
What do you say but, “Come on in.”  It was embarrassing.  Got me thinking a little later though, will I be ready when Jesus comes back?  Or just ready with a heap of excuses why I am not ready.  I will think on this more later when I don't feel like a walking sack of potatoes.
One thing good I did today was while the little boys played Play-doh, I made real dough, and from that real dough, I made some really awesome braided French bread.  Sent a loaf home with the Beres family.  This recipe makes 3 loaves!  It was easy, and it was amazing, and it made my house smell amazing.  I want a Scentsy that smells like fresh baked bread.
My day has wiped my energy.  I need a good night sleep and a sweet prayer to send me off.  You don't have to read my prayer if you don't want to.  You can say your own.
God, today has zapped a lot of my energy.  Please renew me as I sleep tonight so that I can be a light for you tomorrow.  Please send rain.  We could use some rain.  I am so grateful right now that I can stand on your word where it says that your mercies are new every morning.  That gives me great joy.  I pray for my little boys.  Today I was being so consistent, yet Caleb consistently, persistently disobeyed me.  Please help me to not lose heart.  Thank you for Kael, that today he was such a big helper and sweet mannered boy.  If they were both being awful I think I would have just sat in the corner and cried.  Thank you for your mercy!  Thank you for my husband and all the blessings that you have given us.  I see lightning flash in the sky.  What a marvelous world you created.  Sorry we messed stuff up.  I love you Lord.
Your daughter, Ronda.
Here are some pictures of the little boys eating bread after the Sharpie Incident, before the Tantrum Throwdown:
Caleb
Kael

Braided Italian Bread
3 cups warm water
2 packages (2 tablespoons) yeast
4 tablespoons sugar
9+ cups flour (9 for dough, + for kneading)
4 teaspoons salt
4 eggs
3 tablespoons oil
1 egg for glaze

Mix water, yeast and sugar.  Let it sit until all ingredients are dissolved.  With a wooden spoon, mix four, salt, eggs and oil with yeast mixture.  Mix well and turn out on floured surface.  Knead mixture until smooth and elastic.  Place dough in lightly greased bowl; turn to coat and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.  Punch down and divide dough into 3 parts.  Divide each part into 3 sections.  Roll each section into a 12” rope.  Braid each group of 3, pinching the ends to seal.  On a lightly greased baking sheet, let rise until double in size.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Brush braided loaves with slightly beaten egg.  Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 3 loaves.  Recipe from “No Mess Dough Board” recipe card that I found in my recipe folder.  It is a keeper. Enjoy!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. the bread looks beautiful! praying you can find rest :)

    ReplyDelete