Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Who turned up the heat?

Tuesday nights we have Praise Team practice at church.  Before we left the house yesterday I took a look at the clock and realized that we needed to be there in 20 minutes.  The church is 3 miles almost exactly from our house.  I didn’t know this when I left, I figured it was more like 2 miles.  I thought, ’20 minutes, 2 miles, no problem.’  So I laced up, and to Sam’s surprise, I told him I would meet him at the church.  I have been running a lot lately.  Not everyone enjoys running.   I never used to be able to get past the air sucking, side aching, calves cramping, lungs screaming, first mile.  I remember in Junior High when they would make us either run/walk a mile…I would usually make it about a lap before I would have to walk the rest of the way.
That first .5 mile never gets any easier for me; I always want to give up.  I ran about 25 miles this last week.  To be safe I equip myself with a reflective vest, concealed but readily accessible pepper spray, and my cell phone.  Reflective vest=protection from cars.  Pepper spray=protection from people and dogs.  Cell phone=protection from myself, in case I find myself in a ditch with a twisted ankle.  Ditches in Missouri are scary…there are lots of bugs and creepy crawlies…ewww.  I also always tell Sam the route I am going to follow and I don’t deviate from it.  I pay attention to the cars that pass me and pay extra attention if I see the same car more than once.  I always wave at Police Officers and people that make extra effort to avoid hitting me, I appreciate that!  I also don’t listen to music; I listen to the cars and know when they are coming long before they know I am running.
What I didn’t guard myself with yesterday was wisdom.  I should have thought about the fact that it was almost 100 degrees outside.  It didn’t seem too hot at first because for the first mile I was kind of in the shade and the breeze was perfect, but then I hit a two mile section of road that had no shade and the breeze stopped.  Oh man, I was hurtin!  I was sweating great gobs and I told myself the whole way ‘if you make it, no more running and sunning.’  I finally made it to church, I was ready for a cold shower…I didn’t think this run through.  I splashed some cool water on my face and tried to collect myself before going up on stage.  It took me about 20 minutes to feel ‘normal’ and stop sweating.  I drank two bottles of water, it was delicious.  I don’t think I have ever referred to water as delicious before, but it is totally accurate in this example.
Wisdom…it requires pausing and pondering.  I did not pause, or ponder.  I rushed and ran, and could have killed myself.
How often do we do that?  How often do we rush and not stop to ask ourselves what is wise?  How often do we ask God what is wise, and then wait for an answer before making plans?  Or how often do we know the smart thing to do, but opt to go with the foolish?
As healthy as running is, running in 100 degree weather is not.  I learned my lesson.  Thank you Lord for being with me each step and not letting me pass out.  A cell phone would do me no good if I am passed out in a ditch.
I got some good word this morning when I opened e-Sword…
In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.  Does not the ear test words as the palate tastes food?  Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days.  With God are wisdom and might; he has counsel and understanding.  Job 12:10-13

I read further in Job and another verse resonated within me.
Pay attention, O Job, listen to me; be silent, and I will speak.  If you have any words, answer me; speak, for I desire to justify you.  If not, listen to me; be silent, and I will teach you wisdom.  Job 33: 31-33.
Job is quickly becoming one of my favorite books of the Bible.  It speaks straight to my heart when I think about all that Job went through, and his unwavering love for God.  I am going to dig into Job in my personal reading this week.
Yesterday besides my self-inflicted stupidity, was my realization that griping and offense break down your spirit not build it up.  If I have a good attitude I can be used by the Holy Spirit to minister, always a good thing.  If I have a bad attitude I can be used by the Devil as a splinter, never a good thing.
Turn your ear toward the Lord and be still.  Get in the word, talk to God, and let the Holy Spirit clean house.  Talking to God is easy, but I forget all the time to first take ‘it’ to him.  Every issue, every joy, every burden, every question, everything, anything, serious, silly, lighthearted, heavy laden, you can take it to him and he will take it on.  Papa God, he is a good and caring father.
When you are feeling the heat and need to come up with something good to eat, you should try out this super simple, ridiculously tasty, very affordable, QUICK quesadilla.  I recently started making my quesadillas in the shape of a triangle.  My family loved these.  I am going to make my sister-in-law Dawn’s sweet potato black bean quesadillas soon and will blog about them, but for now these are my Exquisite Equilateral Quesadillas (EEQ’s).

What you need:
4 Tortillas
1 can refried beans or pinto beans mashed
1 can black beans drained
½ cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheese
½ packet taco seasoning
Sour Cream, guacamole or hummus, salsa optional toppings

In a medium bowl mix black beans, salsa, and taco seasoning.
Spread a few spoonfuls of refried beans in the center of 1 tortilla in the shape of a triangle.  Take a few spoonfuls of black bean mixture and spread over the refried beans.  Sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese.
Fold 3 flaps over the filling making sure to get a little bit of the shredded cheese under each flap so that when you fry it everything glues together.

In a frying pan on medium heat place the triangle folded sides down.  Let it cook until the color is lightly browned.  Flip onto other side and do the same.  Transfer to plate, garnish with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or whatever you want.  I topped Sam's with salsa, sour cream, and roasted red pepper hummus. YUMMUS!

Repeat steps with other quesadillas.  Family pleaser, this is one you should definitely make.  Skip fast food out and make fast food in.  For the kiddos if they don't like all the topping, or fillings for that matter you can just fill with cheese and they are good to go!

Thank you so much for blessing me by stopping by.  So many of you send me sweet comments and I am everyday grateful for you.
xoxo 
Ronda

No comments:

Post a Comment